Thursday, July 24, 2008

So am the new signing...

Finding a new job is fascinating – you get to meet new people, new friends, new environment, name it. Everything is as it is supposed to be. Everyone is smiling and looking every inch like an angel.
And so it was at the Women of Uganda Network where I started working in the Information and knowledge sharing department.
When my boss introduced me to the other staff members, Ssozi the cheeky one it seems said, “oh! So she is the new signing” and went ahead to tell us about a new deputy headmaster at his high school whom students referred to as “the new signing”. May be they didn’t know his name but since he was new in the school, he was ‘the new signing’ and the name stuck.
But being a new signing comes with its fair share of challenges.
Who do I ask if I can’t find the coffee maker? Who can I share this joke with first before everyone writes me off as a chatterbox? Etc.
The small things that make life in a new office really fun. Well the staff here is smart and friendly. I easily fit in. I have only been here for 16 working hours but it feels like home. And the good thing is no one called me ‘the new signing’. Even if I really am.

No comments: