Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My birthday and my job

I have a kind of job which my father can't understand. All he sees me do is click, click and click. My 15 year old stubborn nephew says I just like to 'smooch' (am not sure if he used the word correctly) my laptop all the time. Never mind that he can at least send mail, chat with friends but he is yet to hear about YouTube...
In this part of the world, such kids refer to themselves as the 'dotcom kids'....though they still don't know that YouTube exists!
Anyway at least they are better off than my father who at the age of 73, the most he has touched a computer is 5 minutes on my laptop when I asked him to type his name so I could show him how the computer works (by the way he is literate and speaks better English than I do because he went to school during the colonial era when Uganda was still under the British colonial rule. He says his English paper was marked in Great Britain......Whatever!)

But at least he can use a mobile phone anyway, but he is yet to get the full benefits that the dotcom era can provide.
So January 11 was my birthday. And it still feels good to wake up on yet another birth day an you are still on the good side of 20 by the way.
It being a working day, I hurried off to work with the hope that I would leave early and treat my girlfriends at least to a small party with a fine cake...
But come afternoon and my skype just won't shut down. All my friends from around the globe are calling and others chating all to wish me a happy birthday.
Time check 7 pm and am still chatting and talking.
Dad calls to wish me a happy birthday ...and it is indeed a happy birthday. After talking to my friends from around the world, the world feels like one village....
Such benefits my father may never enjoy
But just thinking, if a telecentre was availed in the village, he could may be skype chat at least with me my next birthday
If nothing is done, rest assured the digital divide will become wider...

No comments: